Supply Master Plan for household fuels in the cities of Thiès, Saint-Louis and Kaolack
Description of project
The objective of the mission is to provide Senegal with determinants for better planning of the domestic fuel subsector, notably through a better understanding of the evolution of household fuel supply and demand for household fuels to generate strategies for meeting the needs of the major consumption centers
- Identify the wood fuel supply basins, estimate the quantities coming from them per year and estimate their capacity to support these withdrawals and the sustainability of the supply;
- Evaluate the global flows of cooking fuels (wood, charcoal, gas.) for each of these cities by specifying the supply chains;
- An accurate estimate of wood energy consumption and other domestic energy sources for these five cities by 2030, and on this basis to estimate their impact on natural forest formations;
- An assessment of the substitution efforts of wood energy by alternative energies (particularly gas) by specifying, for each type of energy, the necessary quantity for a satisfactory energy supply of the households concerned;
- Determine the most appropriate and sustainable strategies for supplying these cities with cooking fuels while identifying priority actions;
- Propose strategies of control, rationalization of the supply by favouring the substitution and the valorisation of agro-industrial residues and biofuels;
- Make quantitative simulations of the impact of the proposed strategies on supplying the cities of Thiès, Saint-Louis and Kaolack with domestic fuels year after year until 2030.
Please, read more about the award of the project.