Capacity Building for PPP Management Skills Development in the Albanian Transport Sector
Description of project
The purpose of this contract was to improve the PPP knowledge capacities of the Ministry of Transport and Infrastructure (MoIE) and Albanian Roads Authority (ARA) by providing Technical Assistance service for developing skills and legislative framework concerning Private Public Partnership financing methods in the road transport infrastructure construction, operation and maintenance.
- Provided a needs assessment and proposed a PPP-related training and capacity development plan.
- Provided specialist PPP-related training to government staff, focusing on topics such as the regulatory framework for PPPs in roads, road concessions contracts (BOT and DBOs), payment mechanism options, key risk areas including traffic and revenue risk, and negotiation skills development.
- Developed templates, checklists, handbooks, and general business cases to provide guidance for evaluating proposals for PPP and designing PPP models that create maximum benefit for Albania. These tools were extended by considering an implementation monitoring manual.
- Drafted a PPP/concession works contract to ensure that projects were of good quality, sustainable, well-structured, economically and financially viable, and able to attract private sector interest.
- Assisted the government in developing the pilot PPP.
- Supported the GoA in defining a pipeline of mature projects to be implemented under the PPP schemes.